Odysseus Studio does not start after Updates

stefan

Odysseus Studio does not start after Updates

Post by stefan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:23 pm

Hi,

at the moment I do a lot of updates and try to work at the most recent version.

If I download Odysseus Server + Studio and use this version it starts up very fast. I added GIT because I need to work on a Gitlab repository. I enabled extended logging, installed some new features and changed the Java VM to my current JDK Version 8. Furthermore I get the updates at the moment at http://odysseus.offis.uni-oldenburg.de/update2/. But I noticed similar problems already before I changed to update2.

After installing the updates, the Odysseus Studio start seems to be slower as before. Not only at the first startup. After some updates Odysseus Studio does not start at all and I get an error message ("An error has occurred. See the log file ......log.) that points to an log-file. It was not possible to paste the log content (to many characters for a post), so I provide it via dropbox.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/280 ... 590409.log

To solve the problem I currently download the newest Odysseus Server+Studio bundle, add all configuration again and do an update. Alternatively I am using a working local copy of a older version. This usually works for some updates (but at the moment it doesn't work at all). Restarting Windows does not change that behavior.

I am working on a Windows 10 x64 machine, JDK 1.8.0_102 x64. The hardware is an common laptop with an Core i5 (1st generation), 8 GB of RAM and a SSD. I am not sure what is the actual problem but it seems that Odysseus tries to bind components that are already registered. Do I have to change some settings or is it a common problem?

greetings,
Stefan

EDIT1:
I changed to the regular update site and the error still occurs.

EDIT2:
I tried to install the updates seperately. I am able to install the updates for additional features, the GIT update but as soon as I install the Client Platform + Monolithic + Server updates, Odysseus is not starting up again.

Marco Grawunder

Re: Odysseus Studio does not start after Updates

Post by Marco Grawunder » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:42 am

Hi Stefan,

thank you for your message and your detailed description!

It seems, that Odysseus is not cleaning up correctly after an update :-/ I will have a look at it in in the next days.

EDIT: I think I found a solution.

If you still have the old version of Odysseus, could you please add

org.eclipse.update.reconcile = false

in

configuration/config.ini

Code: Select all

#This configuration file was written by: org.eclipse.equinox.internal.frameworkadmin.equinox.EquinoxFwConfigFileParser
#Tue Sep 20 11:34:31 CEST 2016
eclipse.p2.profile=DefaultProfile
org.eclipse.update.reconcile = false
osgi.framework=file\:plugins/org.eclipse.osgi_3.10.101.v20150820-1432.jar
equinox.use.ds=true
osgi.bundles=referen...

I will add this flag to all the new products, so updates should be possible again.

Greetings,

Marco

stefan

Re: Odysseus Studio does not start after Updates

Post by stefan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:38 pm

Hi Marco,

this is the solution. It works as expected!

Thank you very much!
Stefan